Sunday, August 2, 2009

Kirk Parks in the Atlanta Magazine


Sugar Rush

Pastry Chef Kirk Parks was featured in the August issue of The Atlantan.
Here is the text of the article

The Elvis Impersonator:
Kirk Park
DESSERT TURF: Rathbun’s, Kevin RathbunSteak and Krog Bar. SIGNATURE SWEETS: Bananapeanut butter cream pie; gooey toff ee cakewith Jack Daniel’s ice cream.Trademark: Like Elvis, I like anythingmade with bananas, peanut butter andchocolate. Showoff technique: Temperingchocolate. What you’re fascinated withright now: Working with gelatin. Mostunusual dessert you’ve made: I oncemade a chocolate cake that was fi lled withdulce de leche. On top of the cake I madea pontoon boat made out of temperedchocolate. Best compliment: One womantold me that my sticky toff ee puddingwas better than one she’d had in GordonRamsay’s restaurant in London. MaybeGordon was having an off day. Localpastry chef you admire: Erin Mooney atBLT Steak made this phenomenal coconutsorbet with minted meringue on one of myvisits. Guiltiest sugar pleasures: Gummybears, red licorice and caramels with seasalt. If you weren’t a pastry chef, whatwould you be...a cabinet maker; I love towork with my hands and with wood.